DescriptionThe Congressional Internship Program provides college students with a paid Congressional work placement on Capitol Hill for a period of twelve weeks (Spring/Fall) or eight weeks (Summer). This unmatched experience allows students to learn first hand about our nation's legislative process.
Promising Latino undergraduates from across the country are selected for this leadership training program. Students gain work experience, participate in a community service project, and receive educational and professional programming provided by CHCI. This comprehensive three-prong approach provides extraordinary learning and networking opportunities for students.
Application Deadlines for the 2011 Congressional Internship Programs:
* Spring 2011 Congressional Internship Program Deadline: November 5, 2010
* Summer 2011 Congressional Internship Program Deadline: February 4, 2011
* Fall 2011 Congressional Internship Program Deadline: April 29, 2011
$2500 for 8 weeks in the summer or $3750 for 12 weeks in Fall or Spring
QualificationProgram Requirements - Interns must
* Work a minimum of 32 hours a week in congressional office assignment
* Participate in all CHCI-sponsored activities
* Attend one-week orientation and weekly leadership development sessions
* Participate in the community service project
* Comply with CHCI policies regarding work performance and personal conduct
* Students currently enrolled full time working towards their undergraduate degree
Note: Individuals that will graduate in May/June 2011 are NOT eligible for the Summer session. However, these individuals are eligible to participate in the Spring 2011 session.
* High academic achievement (preference of 3.0 GPA or above)
* Strong analytical and writing skills
* Active participation in public and/or community service activities
* U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency
The selection process is competitive. CHCI receives five applications for every one available internship opportunity. CHCI processes applications to identify the most qualified candidates. Applications are reviewed by a selection committee composed by Alumni, Board of Directors and CHCI staff. A selected number of applicants are chosen based on the quality of their application.
2011 Internship Program Dates
* Spring: February - April
* Summer: June - July
* Fall: August - November
Please go to http://www.chci.org/internships/ to apply